The Digital Epidemiology Lab currently offers some projects for semester or master thesis projects.
If you are interested in working on one of the projects listed below, please send an email to the projects’ contact in which you answer the following questions:
The EPFL Digital Epidemiology Lab in Geneva, Switzerland, is looking for a Senior Web Application Developer (Full Stack Rails) to work on developing our food tracking platform MyFoodRepo as we expand internationally.
Built with the goal to revolutionize the role of nutrition in medical research and public health, the MyFoodRepo platform makes food tracking very easy, thanks to an AI-assisted mobile app and an annotation back-end that helps cohorts manage the food tracking of their patients. We’ve built a flexible infrastructure for our own research cohort at www.foodandyou.ch, and are now opening it to other cohorts.
This is a role where your work will potentially touch thousands of people every day in a central area of their health. We are looking for a team player who cannot only envision a better future, but has the skills and the experience to build it. You will be working in a research environment with a rapidly changing and iterative product development cycle.
The MyFoodRepo platform makes use of the FoodRepo database, which is also maintained by the Digital Epidemiology Lab. Thus, you will find yourself in the middle of an ecosystem of mobile apps, applications, databases, and machine learning pipelines. The key responsibility of this role is to ensure that the web applications on which this ecosystem is built are stable, continuously improving, and easy to maintain, use, and expand. In particular, this role serves to:
Qualified applicants should have:
- Demonstrated experience building and maintaining large scale “commercial-grade” web applications
- Solid experience with Ruby on Rails, PostgreSQL
- Broad experience with 3rd party integration and customization (e.g. Stripe, Salesforce, Mailchimp, Heroku, AWS, or similar.)
- Demonstrated experience with testing frameworks
- Track record of operating production services in a dynamic environment
- An eye for design
- Ability to adapt and learn in a rapidly evolving technological field
- Ability to work in a fast-paced environment where things can change very quickly
- Mastery of written and spoken English
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills, written and oral
- Demonstrated ability to work both independently and in team-based environments
Other desirable qualifications include:
- Startup experience a plus
- Agile/Scrum/Lean experience a plus
As the team grows, we also except you to help us develop a culture of development best practices.Contact: